DAVIN'S TOP 10 1. My truck is on an AUBE cd!!! When Akifumi Nakajima/AUBE came to Detroit in June (still his only US visit ever), he stayed at our house for a week. During this time, he recorded, processed, edited, and manufactured a giveaway CD called "SKYSTREAMSPEEDSPREADETROIT". I took him all around Livonia & Detroit to capture field recordings, and he recorded the sound of my truck!!! It's the beginning of track 2!!!
2. HIERONYMUS BOSCH in Rotterdam, Holland. PDM's "HAUNTED TUBE" was invited to play at a huge HIERONYMUS BOSCH exhibition (you know, BOSCH is the medival painter responsible for "The Garden of Earthly Delights"). It was a great honor to be a part of this show, we all just love BOSCH, and it was called the biggest & best art show in Europe for 2001!!!
3. The cover of WOLF EYES "Dread" lp on HANSON/AMERICAN TAPES. The album is cool too, but I really love the cover by band member NATE YOUNG. It's a moon, and some scratches, it's cool & mysterious!!! Ask your local dealer for HANSON RECORDS!!!
4. David Jackman: MACHINE GUN FIGHTING 10" picture disc (Die Stadt), MACHINE GUNS 7" (Die Stadt), GUN, MACHINE, VICKERS, .303-INCH, MK1 7" picture disc (Robot Records). David Jackman (ORGANUM) is a really cool guy from England that loves WWII. He released these 3 records that feature only the un-processed sounds of machine guns. They're great!!!
5. RUNZELSTIRN & GURGLESTOCK "Asshole/Snail Dilema" cd (Tochnit Aleph). An audio recording of several "aktions" by this great performance act. The sound is a beautiful & sad string quartet interrupted by a girl screaming violently. I love it!!! The best CD of 2001...
6. NEW BLOCKADERS "History of Nothing".SIREN RECORDS in Japan released this GREAT cd of rare (aren't they all rare???) tracks by this mysterious anti-music group. 11 tracks, some of the best noise ever!!!
7. RAMONES box-set. Warn gave me a RAMONES box-set for Christmas (it's really just the first 3 albums, re-issued on cd with bonus tracks, but he calls it a "box-set"). I listen to RAMONES every morning now!!! I just love "Beat on the Brat" & "53rd & 3rd"!!!
8. CAMOUFLAGE BOOK. I've been looking for a book of camouflage patterns for a while now, and I finally found one: CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORMS OF EUROPEAN AND NATO ARMIES 1945-PRESENT. Published by SCHIFFER, this book has TONS of color pictures of hundreds of different CAMO patterns. Some are good, some are bad, I love them all!!!
9. CHARLEGMANE PALESTINE. I just love Charlegmane, and I'm glad that he released "Alloy" (Algh Marghen) and "Jamacia Heinekens in Brooklyn" (Barooni) in 2001. ALLOY is an old recording of organ drone & percussion, a really nice CD. "J.H.B." is a field recording of a parade in NYC, lots of talking & yelling & street-sounds, with organ drone added later. Real cool.
10. GIMMIE GIMMIE OCTOPUS I got a bootleg video from GOAT PULLPHE/Caroliner in 1999, but I never watched it until 2001. Cool & strange sets, funny rubber suits, goofy music and lots of childish violence. All of the Japanese kids know how funny this is!!!
warn's top ten 1. ALICE COLTRANE alice coltrane "transcendence" time stereo office only cd-r. one side is harp and string quartet. one side is indian folk songs played with funky hand percussion, church organ, and sesame street style group singing.
2. NYC AUGUST his name is alive "hot summer" tour. our residency in nyc was the last fun month. we made many new friends and got to play with some nice old friends too, like noise camp, flashpapr, dan from ida, retsin, K., slumberparty, Adult., deonna and laura, and ectomorph. thanks!!!!
3. JAPAN time stereo's japanese tour was super great even though i got super sick and stayed in the hospital in tokyo instead of travelling and performing with my friends. i learned a lot about the world and ended up having a major life-changing experience. it doesn't make much sense on paper but you had to be there, i guess.
4. SRI LANKAN BUDDHIST MONKS hanging out with the sri lankan buddhist monks at my brother's temple. they're cool!!! one time we even hung out at the airport!!!
5. MY "NEW" CAR its a 1986 Honda CRX. it has 180,000 miles on it and the passenger side door doesn't open from the inside. yesterday when i got pulled over by a very informative policeman, i found out that the windows are illegally tinted according to michigan motor vehicle law and one of my headlights needs replacing.
6. "LIFE" MAGAZINE GOES TO WAR when my roomate moved into my house six years ago, he brought a large collection of books with him. my books and his books soon became intermingled on the bookshelves in the den. one of his books, "LIFE goes to war," always struck me as strangely beautiful despite its horrifying photos of the destructiveness of war. over the years i found myself returning regularly to these extremely graphic depictions of bombed-out villages, and dead or disfigured soldiers and innocent victims. i always felt a certain sense of comfort: although there would always be conflicts between nations elsewhere in the world, i knew that here in these united states, that was a thing of the past. all those great wars from history, they were never going to have to happen again. so anyways, this book with its strangely attractive photos now serves as a reminder of what i now realize is a timeless and universal part of human nature.
7. THE TIBETAN PRAYER WHEEL it's great!!! but don't spin it in the wrong direction!!!
8. IDA SHHH LP i still can't believe they let us do it!!!
9. VANILLA SCENTED CANDLES we all do things in private that seem strange when we try to explain them to other people.
10. BROWN RICE my whole life i've dreamed of having my own recording studio. at the end of december i finally moved all my recording stuff out of the basement and into a "proper" studio setting. its in royal oak michigan, it has twenty foot ceilings and has its own parking lot. i'm renting the space from
a nice man who is a little older and he entertains me with stories of jamming with don cherry and wooing women with jackson browne records in the 1970's.